Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Piano Lessons






Thursday September 8, 2011

The boys have been taking piano lessons for years. Ms Judy has been their teacher for the past couple years. We really like her. She's probably the best teacher so far, but I wish she would be tougher on the boys - maybe some laps or some sit ups and push ups for poor effort.

Unfortunately, it looks like piano lessons will be going the way of scouting and other activities that no longer hold their interest. I'm tired of staying on them about practicing. The boys are old enough now to understand the consequences of their choices and actions. It's their life and they are the ones responsible for directing it.

Too many times I see people looking for others to motivate them or I see people getting sucked into a black hole trying to motivate someone else. Self motivation is the only motivation that's lasting. Either you fight for it and figure it out or you don't. Either way, the world moves on - with you or without you.

Of course, we will continue to be there to guide the boys and give them input, but it's up to them to follow through. We'll see how they turn out. I tell Helen that there's no guarantee that I'll want to be around them when they grow up. Of course, I fully understand and accept that the reverse is true as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment