Monday, June 18, 2018

Bye Bye Leaf

I totaled the Leaf last week

I ran out to get some milk just before 9 pm and decided to fill up the lawn mower gas tank while I was out. I had picked up the milk and was making a left to the gas station about 50 yards up the hill across several lanes of traffic. I waited for a car in the turn lane to make a left in front of me and pull into the shopping center I was leaving. I started to pull out and only saw the car I hit coming from my left at the last second. I put on my brakes and turned the wheel hard to the left but still hit the car broadside with a strong glancing blow from my right front.

I had no idea where the car came from. I had a complete view of the 3 lanes and turn lane to my left. It wasn't until I heard the other driver saying he had pulled out of the same gas station I was going to that I realized what had happened. Everyone seems to come out of the gas station on a fast downhill diagonal line that puts them at the shopping center exit very quickly. While I had full visibility of oncoming traffic from my left, I never saw the car leaving the gas station on the diagonal from up the hill across 6 lanes of traffic and, with the car turning in front of me into the shopping center, neither one of us saw each other until it was too late. Also, it was just turning dark, but not so dark that everyone had their lights on and we both had charcoal gray cars.

There were 3 college kids in the car I hit and I'm just thankful nobody was hurt. I had dropped collision coverage on our cars when we had older cars and decided not to get it when we bought newer cars since we've never been at fault in an accident and we've never even had at ticket. I figured the worst that could happen is a fender bender from one of the boys. It was a solid plan...until it wasn't.

I finally did manage to navigate successfully to the gas station for the lawn mower gas and, I have to say, the $10,000 tank of gas didn't perform any better than the usual $5 tank.




1 comment: