Friday, September 20, 2019

2019 App Trail Thru Hike: Weeks 23 & 24: Hot Springs NC to Hiawassee GA


It's weeks 23 & 24 of my AT Thru Hike. I made it back to Georgia. Helen came up to visit me at the Fontana Village Lodge in NC last weekend and is meeting me tonight in Hiawassee GA. Derek is hiking out of Hiawassee with me on Sunday. I'll be done by the middle of next week.

Day 161

Time: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 19:58:57
Location: Double Spring Gap Shelter mile 1994.8 (Southbound) of the Appalachian Trail

I spent last night at the Peck's Corner Shelter. I was the only one there.

There were some nice viewpoints early on but the views were hazy. I didn't see anyone until I got to Charlie's Bunion, a rock outcrop with nice views. It's a popular day hike from Newfound Gap. I must have seen 50 people of all types. It's a pretty good hike 5 miles each way.

There were also a lot of people at Clingman's Dome, the highest point on the AT at 6644 ft.

I hiked 20 miles to the Double Spring Gap Shelter. It was a tough hike and I didn't have as much energy as yesterday. I need more recovery time.

The Smokies are tough. Lots of ups and downs and the highest elevation on the AT. There's lots of loose rock and they have a lot of steps and the steps are too high so they're tough going up or down.

We seem to be in an afternoon thunderstorm pattern. I got rained on twice today.

There are about 8 other section hikers at the shelter. All headed northbound. They're nice and asked me about my thru hike and shared information about the trail.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

Day 162

Time: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 18:15:07
Location: Mollies Ridge Shelter mile 2014.3 (Southbound) of the Appalachian Trail

I spent last night at the Double Spring Gap Shelter. There were about 8 other section hikers there. A group of them got up at 5:30 so they could be at Clingman's Dome for sunrise. A father and daughter were still there and talked about their Minnesota Boundary Waters trip. I've heard that trip mentioned often on the trail.

I had good energy but the climbs and the trail wore me down. I stopped at shelters after 8, 13, and 16 miles for breaks.

I hiked 20 miles to the Mollies Ridge Shelter. Guthook comments and northbounders said there was no water at the shelter so I brought some from the previous shelter. Lack of water is a pain.

I only saw a few northbound section hikers today and there's nobody else here at the shelter.

I have 13 miles to Fontana Village where I'm staying with Helen Friday and Saturday night. So looking forward to it.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

Day 163

Time: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 17:15:48
Location: Fontana Village Resort Mile 2030.2 of Appalachian Trail

I spent last night at  Mollies Ridge Shelter alone. When I'm alone I can play music on my phone without earbuds.

I had restless sleep again, but I do like the new foam pad and pillow better than the air.

I was on the trail about 7:30. I passed a couple section hikers. I talked to an older lady from Texas named Elaine. She started from Springer, so she's come a good way. She was thinking thru hike in a few years, but now is thinking about breaking it up into 3 sections.

The trail was overgrown to start, which made it even worse when there were sections eroded with loose rocks. That's also the time when the gnats seem to want to get in your eyes. I rolled my ankle twice but it's ok. Prevent defense. Don't want to get hurt now.

There were also some pleasant sections. It was warm so I was soaked in sweat on the climbs. I really smell.

After a long descent I finally reached Fontana Dam. There was a long road walk over the dam. It was hot but interesting. I met some section hikers headed north into the Smokies and gave them some advice on water. Whew! I'm glad to be done with the Smokies.

The Smokies had a few nice views but mostly it was tough ridge walking. The AT could be routed along much prettier scenery, but is mostly a lot of tough ridge walking.

I finally reached the Marina restroom building where there's a house phone you can use to call the Fontana Village Resort, but the phone was broken. I started to walk the mile and a half but decided to turn around and walk out on the dock to the Marina building. It was nice and cool inside with beer and food. They called the lodge  for me and I had to walk back up before I could get a beer.

The shuttle driver was a young guy and asked a lot of questions about the trail. He likes to run the trails and was familiar with the Smokies AT section.

Thankfully they let me check in early. I went for a nice relaxing swim and cooled down. Then I walked to the Grill restaurant and had some beer and a nice meal.

Flipswitch was at the bar. We said hello but he was on the phone. Two young hikers who started in Springer stopped and talked while they waited on their ride. They're just planning to go to Virginia or West Virginia and get off before the snow.

I went back and cleaned my clothes and stuff and took a nice soaking bath and shower. Now I'm just waiting on Helen to get here and then we'll go have a nice dinner and relax.

The real world has its advantages.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

Day 164 & 165

Time: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 20:14:24
Location: Locust Grove Gap mile 2044.6 (Southbound) of the Appalachian Trail

Helen arrived the Fontana Village Lodge around 7:00 Friday night. We went to the nice restaurant in the Lodge for dinner. Flipswitch was there also.

It was nice ambiance with a pretty sunset view of the mountains. I had the ribeye and Helen had the signature Cajun pasta dish. Our Russian waiter Jerry was fun. He was very knowledgeable and reminded us of the waiters we had on a Disney cruise. We call them Hans and Frans. They always told us what to order.

The food was good not great. They tried too hard by over saucing and over seasoning everything. We only ate about half and boxed the rest.

On Saturday morning we hung out in the nice lodge lobby and drank coffee and ate some snacks Helen brought.

We drove around and checked out Fontana Village. It's a fun place but winding down for the season. There was some wedding stuff going on. That seems to be a big business for them.

I went to the store and got enough food for a couple days until I get to the Nantahala Outdoor Center. We went to the Fontana Dam visitor center and learned about the area. We went to the village gas station for some local beer.

We sat on the porch of our room and ate the dinner leftovers and drank the beer. Helen cut my hair and then we went to the the lazy river pool and floated around and swam. We made it to the ice cream shop just before they closed.

We went to the more casual grill restaurant for dinner and had pizza.

I watched some AT YouTube videos and listened to some Mighty Blue On The AT podcasts.

This morning we went down to the lobby and had coffee again and then went to the restaurant for their breakfast buffet.

We got packed up and Helen drove me to the Marina where the trail crosses. She walked with me some and then we said our goodbyes and said we would see each other on Friday in Hiawassee.

I hiked 17 miles to an unofficial campsite at Locust Grove Gap. There was a big climb out of Fontana. And quite a bit of ridge walking on scraggly rocks. There was a big descent into Stechoa Gap and then more climbing. The trail was narrow, rooty, rocky, often tilted downhill, and overgrown. Generally, not much fun to hike. I was missing my honey and the lodge.

I saw several northbound section hikers and a young couple doing the Southern Appalachian Loop Trail.

I talked to Helen and Adam and texted with Derek about coordinating a day when he can hike with me.

A big climb and a big down into the Nantahala Outdoor Center tomorrow.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

Day 166

Time: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 15:58:10
Location: Nantahala Outdoor Center mile 2055.2 (Southbound) of the Appalachian Trail

I spent last night at the Locust Grove Gap unofficial campsite. I was the only one there. I actually slept pretty well. I had some oatmeal/grits mix, a Krispy Kreme cherry pie, and breakfast drink/powdered milk/coffee mix.

There was a climb up to Cheowah Bald where there was a a nice view of clouds settled in the valley.

The trail was narrow and winding. In addition to the constant barrage of spider webs the overgrowth was constantly brushing against my face and head. The footing was tough with rocks and roots and more ridge walking over sharp rock jumbles.

I met a nice father and son doing the section from the NOC to Fontana. Then I met a nice couple finishing their section from Springer to Fontana.

I made it down to the Nantahala Outdoor Center about 1:00. The place was buzzing with activity. An older couple from Pensacola stopped me and asked me to take a picture then asked all about what I was doing.

The barbecue restaurant is now a Mexican restaurant, which confused me for a minute. I was all ready for some barbecue. I got a pork burrito. The best of both worlds.

I walked across the river and browsed around the outfitter. Then I walked across the street to the General Store to resupply until I get to Hiawassee on Friday.

I saw the section hikers I met in a shelter in the Smokies and chatted with them. They got out at Max Patch. I sat next to the river and ate strawberry ice cream and talked with one of the girls. She's from Michigan and this is her second section hike. She and her brother were going to go in 2015 but their schedules didn't mesh. He died not long after and she's out here for herself and her brother.

I hung out at the bar, drank a beer, and recharged my phone. I had dinner at the River's End Restaurant. 

I saw Wrongway and Cheerleader hanging out in front of the General Store and caught up with them. They're hiking up to the shelter just south of town like I am.

I talked to Helen and Adam on the phone. We talked about meeting in Hiawassee on Friday and Derek hiking out of Hiawassee with me Sunday.

I hiked up to the Rufus Morgan shelter about a mile south of the NOC. It's too warm down here at lower elevation.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

Day 167

Time: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 19:59:42
Location:Wayah Gap Picnic Area mile 2076.7 (Southbound) of the Appalachian Trail

I spent last night at the Rufus Morgan Shelter about a mile south from the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Wrongway and Cheerleader camped nearby.

I was on the trail about 8:00. I had a big climb up Wesser Bald. That area was hit by fire awhile ago and the forest still hasn't filled in. I was glad to be climbing it in the morning before it got too hot, although the morning wasn't that cool.

There was another climb up Rocky Bald and the trail turned nicer. That area must have missed the fires because there was a nice canopy and the trail was in better shape. The Cold Spring Shelter area was really nice with good water and lots of rhododendrons. I met a nice couple just starting a section to Fontana.

I stopped at the Wayah Shelter for a break. I walked a good way to get some water but the spring was dry. There was a nice tower on Wayah Bald. There were three northbound thru hikers up there and we chatted while we took in the nice view.

I stopped at the Wine Spring Camp and ate dinner. I thought about staying but loaded up on water and pushed on to the Wayah Gap Picnic Area. It's in a nice grove of trees. There are three old concrete picnic tables. It doesn't look like the area gets much use. Twenty one miles today. Forty six more to Hiawassee by Friday.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

Day 168 

Time: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 19:52:56
Location: Carter Gap Shelter Mile 2098.5 of Appalachian Trail

I spent last night at the Wayah Gap Picnic Area. There were two owls calling out to each other, "Who cooks for you".

The trail was really nice most of the day. It wound through rhododendrons along nice switchbacks.

The weather was cooler and overcast. I saw a couple section hikers and met a thru hiker named Old School Moose. He got the name because he carries an older external frame pack. He's heading north to Maryland where he started.

In the afternoon there was a climb up Albert Mountain and some rock climbing back down and a serpentine ridge walk. When the trail dipped back into the woods, everything was wet. The rest of the day was spent in a wet rainy fog. I was tired and hoping for some easy trail but it was a bunch of rocky ridge walking.

I hiked 22 miles to Carter Gap Shelter. I'm the only one here. Less than a hundred miles left.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

Day 169 

Time: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 18:42:07
Location: Muskrat Creek Shelter mile 2111.0 (Southbound) of the Appalachian Trail

I spent last night at the Carter Gap Shelter alone in a dense fog with rain falling on the tin roof all night.

I slept in to let the weather clear and because I was planning an easy 12 mile day.

It was overcast and cooler. I hiked up Standing Indian Mountain. A comment on GutHook said the trail was overgrown and it was to start but got much better. There were clippings where you could tell someone has cut things back, thankfully.

I took a break at Standing Indian Shelter. I met an older guy, Merlin. He's from Atlanta and is doing some day hikes. He attempted thru hikes in 99 and 01. He made it 600 and 800 miles. He has Physics degree from Georgia Tech and we talked about our Tech experiences.

I hiked another 5 miles to Muskrat Creek Shelter. There are 2 guys from Baton Rouge here. They're picking up a missed section before they meet up with a bigger group to finish the Smokies. They gave me some red beans and rice on a tortilla. They stopped by Fox Brothers BBQ in Atlanta and raved about it. Made my mouth water. There's always good eating with Cajuns around.

A group of five lady section hikers got here late. They're nurses from Pensacola. They seem fun too.

Twelve miles into Hiawassee to see Helen. Derek is hiking out with me on Sunday.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

Day 170

Time: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 16:15:33
Location: Henson Cove B&B Mile 2125.9 of Appalachian Trail

I spent last night at the Muskrat Creek Shelter with the two Cajun guys from Baton Rouge and the nurses from Pensacola.

The guys asked the nurses for some good stories around the campfire. They got some good ones. One involving a 500 lb guy and his enlarged scrotum getting stuck in a chair reclining mechanism. They finally asked the girls to stop telling stories.

It was a chilly night in the 40s and a nice cool morning. I crossed from North Carolina into Georgia. It's good to be home. People have said the Georgia section is better maintained and more fun to hike. There are leaves on the ground and it's starting to feel like Fall. It's kinda nice, but also a pain because they hide the rocks and roots that are trying to hurt me.

There were some climbs but overall I had a nice 12 miles into Hiawassee where the B&B owner picked me up. I got cleaned up and now I'm waiting on Helen to get here.

I didn't have any food left, but the B&B had complimentary coffee, cookies, peanut butter crackers, and granola bars. 

Helen arrived about 5 and we went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant in town. I had a big margarita and the Cowboy fajitas with steak, chicken, and shrimp. Helen had the carnitas platter and I ate most of that too.

It's a nice cool night.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘


Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

No comments:

Post a Comment