Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer Fun

The Senior Men's ALTA season is underway. You only have to be 45 to be considered a Senior. The matches are on Friday nights and are a good way to kick off the weekend. 


Helen brought the kids grudgingly to watch my tennis match and go to the pool

You would think there would be a limit to the amount of time they want to spend playing xbox or watching TV or YouTube videos. The kids haven't really been interested in going to the pool for a couple of years. They tried swim team one season, but didn't really like it. Adam was pretty good, but he didn't like that you had to practice every day and get up so early in the morning when the water was so cold. Derek is averse to most physical activity so he never liked it. I wasn't going to renew the pool membership this year but Adam said he thought he would ride his bike to the pool with his friends more this year.

Adam's friend Jack

Adam and Derek say that the pool is no fun because most of the kids are on swim team and the swim team kids are only at the pool for practice and meets. When we try to name some kids that they could play with they come up with some reason why they don't like the kids. What happened to the days when they were little and they would get so excited to do anything we wanted to do? As they get older there's a lot more controversy. Too often it's an effort to reach some sort of agreement on what to watch, what to eat, where to go, etc. I don't really blame them. It's a natural part of growing up. It's just that when they were little it was so good. I wouldn't say I'm fully ready for them to get out, but the day is quickly approaching for them to go their own way.

Ryan and Adam riding their bikes to the pool. A couple more trips to the pool and we might get the average cost per visit below $100.

Derek's friend Blake spent the night. Blake invited Derek to go with his family to the beach, but it's the same time as our vacation. Derek was bummed that he won't be able to go.

It was nice to see Derek and Blake playing Monopoly. We have all kinds of board games and I wish that we played more often. Growing up, my family liked to play board games or card games or put together puzzles. I would play some, but the reality is that I don't like actively engaging my brain. I can if I have to, but I usually just want to veg out, watch a movie, and eat snacks - especially in the evening after a full day. When it's a good movie that we can all agree on - it's the best just relaxing and hanging out with each other.   

No comments:

Post a Comment