Friday, February 22, 2019

2019 App Trail Thru Hike: All About The Gear

"Gearing up" for my early April Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike departure

Album for these photos
All photo albums

Backpacking gear, especially for thru hiking, is a bit of a paradox: on the one hand you know you won't have access to conventional amenities for extended periods so you want to be prepared for all kinds of scenarios, but on the other hand the weight of the gear really starts to add up and makes carrying it difficult to impossible over long distances.

The lighter the load you can carry, while staying warm, dry, and rested...the better the chances you have of avoiding the biggest thru hike killers...mental fatigue and injury.

It's all about the weight these days when it comes to thru hiking gear. The days of heavy ankle protecting hiking boots and bulky external frame backpacks are over. Most people are now thru hiking in lightweight running shoes or even sandals like me. Some backpacks and tents weigh only a pound or so. Ounces matter.

In the classic 1983 trail journal, Then The Hail Came, George talks about carrying a 50 pound pack (much respect for anyone out there hiking long distances, but especially for people in the past that did it without all the new fangled lightweight gear).  Contrast that with Wired's base pack weight (not including food and water) of 13 or so pounds.

Having a light base weight makes carrying the necessary food and water easier. Each liter of water weighs 2 pounds. On the Appalachian Trail water is usually not too hard to come by so people only carry a liter or so at a time and filter as they go. On the Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail water can be scarce in places and people have to carry 6-8 liters at times. On the Appalachian Trail food resupply is usually available at least every few days. Each day of food usually weighs 1-2 pounds.

My base pack weight is about 22 pounds right now and I usually carry about 4 pounds of food and 2 pounds of water for a total of 28 pounds. Not too good by today's standards. 

I've been over and over my gear. I swapped out my backpack for a lighter one, bought new lighter weight clothing (I was really trying to be the last person to own a puffy jacket...oh well...they really are lightweight), and minimized and re-minimized what I'm bringing. I've analyzed and re-packed a hundred times. I'm probably going to start with what I have, but I have at least identified some options that would allow me to shed another 7 or so pounds:

  • Wire Mesh Bag (2 lbs): I bought a large wire mesh bag and some lightweight luggage locking cable and locks to secure my gear. Altogether it weighs almost 2 pounds. That's low hanging fruit, but I really want to bring it. Hiking gear is expensive and it does get stolen sometimes. The bag should also deter rodents and other animals that like to chew through backpacks and might even deter an only-mildly determined bear. Hikers rarely make any effort to secure their gear from theft and most would be unwilling to carry the extra weight. I've practiced securing my gear with the bag many times and can do it pretty quickly (if it's not easy I know I won't use it). I'm sure other hikers will make fun of it. 
  • Tent (2.5 lbs): I have a relatively roomy Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 (3.5 lbs) that Helen and I use. It's a popular tent on the trail, but I could get a lightweight tarp or something like the ZPacks Plexamid (14.8 oz).
  • Backpack (1.5 lbs): I originally bought an Osprey Atmos 65 AG backpack (4 lb 6 oz), but swapped that out for a ULA Circuit (3 lb 5oz). I could get a ZPacks Arc Blast (21 oz).
  • Sleeping Pad (.5 lbs): I have an REI Flash (20 oz). I could get a NeoAir XLite (12 oz) or Thermarest ZLite (10 oz).
It can be misleading to go by what gear is popular on the trail since most people (4 out of 5) don't finish their intended thru hikes. The gear might be popular because it's comfortable or readily available at big box retailers, but not practical for completing a thru hike:

The Trek AT Gear Surveys: Surveys of what gear people used on the AT
HalfwayAnywhere: Surveys of what gear people used on the Pacific Crest Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment