Friday, March 1, 2019

2019 App Trail Thru Hike: Food and Water

Testing food options for my early April Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike departure

Album for these photos
All photo albums

I'll be using the CNOC Versa Flow to filter water

I have a little lightweight netting to keep chunky stuff from clogging my water filter, but filters can get frozen (keep them in your sleeping bag or next to your body if necessary) or get clogged (usually backflushing with smartwater bottle clears it) so I also carry some Micropur tablets and a little bleach (also good for cleaning clothes, gear, hands, etc).

Usually, I'll just collect water with one of my smartwater bottles, attach the filter, and drink directly from the filter. I wrapped a piece of anti-microbial cloth around the filter that I can use when I collect water to help keep debris out so it won't clog my filter. I'll have to be sure to purify the bottle if I ever drink directly from it without the filter.

I can see using one of my Versa Flow water pouches as a emergency night pee container...and then foot warmer. 

Food and water stuff all laid out

Blue automotive shop towels or anti-microbial towel: absorbent, durable, and soft...great for runny noses too...and they can be washed over and over.

Opsak odor masking ziplock bag: keeps critters from smelling your food and toiletries

Zpacks bear bag kit: lightweight bag for storing and hanging your food and toiletries so critters won't get them

SeaToSummit Delta Bowl and Spork: I'm going stove-less and plan on cold soaking my food in the delta bowl

Smartwater (or similar) disposable water bottles: preferred by thru hikers for their light weight, relative durability, and availability   


No comments:

Post a Comment