Friday, March 15, 2019

2019 App Trail Thru Hike: The Mental Part


Thinking about the mental part as I prepare for my early April Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike departure


Thru hiking is as much mental as it is physical. I'm under no illusion. It's going to be tough.

For many, the trail calls to the wanderlust in our soul. It's easy to romanticize and there are enough stories and information out there to keep us immersed in that wonderland. It's even more fun when you start preparing and playing with all the gear. Doing the actual hiking is the hard part. As Mike Tyson said, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Some people like this guy and this guy make it look so easy that you question why you bother to plan at all.  

I borrowed a book on Mindfulness a while back from the Kindle lending library and finally got around to starting it. I was "busy", but it probably took me so long because I was skeptical. It turns out, I shouldn't have been. I'm sure the ideas are going to help me in real life and on my thru hike.

I'm analytical and judging and I like it. It's me and I don't want to turn it off. It makes me critical and impatient with myself and the world around me, but I like what all the analyzing and judging gives me in terms of planning and navigating life and I certainly like where it got me up to this point - retired and planning to walk the Appalachian Trail.

However, the analyzing and judging is relentless, distracting, and, at times, overwhelming and all-consuming. Every decision, every sensory input, every interaction is a 1000 word mental essay of pros and cons with a backing data sheet. I have no idea what it's like to live in the rapid "texting bubble" world of simple back and forths skimming along the surface of awareness. I find it difficult to interact in that world.

I reject the idea that analyzing and judging is "bad", but I would like it to be more efficient. I want it to be "quieter". I want it to sleep when it's not needed and turn on when it is. Finding the balance is the challenge.   

Here are some tips from other hikers for handling the mental part of a thru hike:
  • Break your hike up into micro-goals instead of looking at the trail as a whole. Your next resupply point, shelter, water source, etc.
  • Express gratitude to the rocks or mud...for making me stronger, leaner, kinder, more patient etc. - whatever I wish to have more of in my life. And I have been known to sing to a steep mountain - the song is an original created in that moment. It is kind of a zen technique to become one with the mountain.
  • 'Square' breathing (breath in 4-count, hold 4-count, exhale 4-count, hold 4-count)
  • Think in terms of  "I get to" not "I have to"
  • Focus on one thing (like your breath or a word\phrase\song) while you're walking and try only to think of that one thing and you will notice that your mind will try to guide you off of it but ease yourself back to it and, eventually,  you will get better at it
  • Push awareness out of my body - toward the smells carried on my breath, the sounds both near and far away, the beauty in whatever is around, etc. The surroundings have no pain of the body, no depressing memory of past mistakes and trials, no anxiety-inducing anticipation of the future, they just exist in the present moment.
  • Be inquisitive about everything...like it's the first time you have seen the object (like a tree, flower, cloud). It forces you to be present as you decipher what and why the object truly exists.
  • Pretend like you're walking with someone:  friend, loved one, pet, historical figure, etc
  • List all the things you are grateful for. Don't stop short. Make the list as long as possible.
  • Use all your senses to take in this moment. Nudge your awareness to the smallest of things near and far that you can sense in this moment. Your mind will wander away and that's okay, just gently nudge it back without admonition.
  • Start with individual toes and work your way up paying attention to detailed sensations near and far. Eventually settle on the rhythm of your breath - an amazing thing always there for us to return to. Try to sense it spreading to even your most distant distinct body parts. Your mind will wander away and that's okay, just gently nudge it back without admonition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment