Monday, March 11, 2019

2019 App Trail Thru Hike: What To Wear

The clothing I'm taking for my early April Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike departure

Album for these photos
(From Top Left):

Montbell 800 Fill Power Down Jacket: I was really trying to be the last person to own a puffy jacket. Oh well. It's light and warm. More for camp than for hiking. You get warm fast hiking and cool down fast when you stop.

Outdoor Research Helium II Rain Jacket: Very popular on the trail. Super lightweight and folds into a compact pouch. It's my first additional layer for cold or wet. It doesn't have pockets, so I duct taped some plastic bags with some quick dry towel material to the lower inside of the jacket. I can flip them out and shield my hands from the weather if necessary. 

Columbia Silver Ridge Long Sleeve Shirt: The shirt I plan to wear everyday. It has pockets, ventilation, and sun protection. I will pre-soak it (along with most of my clothes and tent) in permethrin insect repellent to protect against ticks and mosquitos.

Smartwool 150 long sleeve shirt: Minimal merino wool layer

Smartwool 150 short sleeve shirt: Hangs from the bungee on the back of my pack for quick access. Usually as an underlayer, but might end up as my primary shirt in the heat.

REI On The Trail Short Tights: My only "pants"...commando. Breathable, quick dry, drawstring, don't ride up so inside thighs don't chafe, and a mesh phone pocket. My legs never really get too cold. I never wear long pants in real life, but if I need to shield my legs in really bad weather I can wrap my tent footprint and\or a compactor bag around them. I cut a hole in the bottom of a compactor bag so I can slip it on as a skirt. I tested it in a cold driving rain and it worked well.

Duluth Trading Boxer Briefs: Maybe to sleep in

Sealskinz Waterproof Socks: Nice layer to have just in case it gets really cold or I'm having blister trouble. Cold, wet, and mud are all fine with sandals, but sand\grit or prolonged skin-penetrating wetness can cause blisters.

Copper Fit Compression Socks: Recently got these on impulse while walking through CVS. I've never had compression socks, but they will be nice to put on at camp after cleaning my feet and rubbing them with Badger Foot Balm. Like a spa treatment.

Darn Tough Micro Crew Socks: Additional socks...maybe to sleep in

Windstopper Gloves: Older pair of gloves from skiing. Hands are exposed using trekking poles. Will pull plastic bags over them for cold\wet protection. Might get some Showa waterproof gloves.

Merino Wool Buff and Buff Hat: Buffs are ubiquitous on the trail because they're so multipurpose

Chaco's ZCloud Sandals: I wear Chaco's sandals almost exclusively everyday. I don't want to start wearing shoes I'm not used to. I haven't encountered a time when my feet were too cold to wear sandals and I love how free my feet feel and how quickly my feet dry in sandals. It's not that unusual to hike in sandals these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment