Wednesday, March 13, 2019

2019 App Trail Thru Hike: Accessories

Accessories for my early April Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike departure


(From Top Left):

Black Diamond Trekking Poles: Lightweight and collapsible. I don't plan on using them all the time, but they're really nice when slippery, steep, tired, hurting, etc. 

Electronics: Phone, MP3 player and earbuds, Anker 10000 portable charger, outlet charger and cords, small notebook and pencil

Suunto Compass: Not necessary on the well marked AT, but it's responsible to have one and know the basics. GutHook GPS phone app shows you where you are. I also installed a compass phone app. I expect the weather to come from the south\west\north and plan to setup my tent accordingly by securing necessary guy lines, using existing rocks\trees\etc as shielding, and facing my door away from the weather.

Black Diamond Head Lamp: Having one with the red night light mode, so as not to blind others, is expected on the trail

Sea To Summit Bug Net: Never used one before, but highly recommended on the trail

Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat: For sun, rain, tick protection, and to keep bug netting off of your face and ears

Rain Poncho: For driving rain and wind. It insulates my core and I can pull my arms and hands inside and shield them too. I use one we had laying around. It's a nice weight. Some are too flimsy and some are too heavy.

Umbrella: Becoming more popular on the trail. Usually rigged to attach to your backpack to keep hands free for trekking poles, phone, etc. I just got one on impulse at the grocery store to try and I think I like it. It was nice on a recent hike when sporadic rain started falling not to have to keep putting on and taking off my rain gear. I attach mine with an 18 inch gear tie. It's a little clunky but works.

Sun and Reading GlassesAnnoyingly, I think I have to bring my reading glasses. Sunglasses can help with gnats in your eyes.

Knee Compression Sleeve: Recently picked up a lightweight compression sleeve just in case. Knee pain seems common on the trail, especially when getting acclimated. I can see adding some heat rub and using it more for recovery than stability. I only have one so only one knee at a time is allowed to hurt.

Recovery Ball: Lacrosse ball for rolling out sore muscles. I like to lay on it and roll out my hips, back, IT bands, etc

Quick Dry Towel: I cut a quick dry towel down, but left it substantial enough for wiping sweat, rain, etc.

Poop kit: Loksak odorless bag and velcro strap, pet waste bags, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, anti-microbial towels, and snow stake. I plan on packing my waste out or at least disposing it in privies, but I have a lightweight snow stake to dig a hole just in case.

Tape, Repair, etc Bag: Small amounts of duct, gorilla, leuko, rock, and tenacious tape, lighter and dryer lint, tent pole splint, ziplock bags, reusable towels, pet waste bags, toilet paper, air pad repair kit. It's common to wrap a little tape around trekking poles for quick access.

Quick Hygiene, etc (in hip belt for quick access): Picaridin insect repellent, bleach (norovirus), hand sanitizer, quick dry towel strip, lip balm, pocket knife, fishing line for cutting sausage\cheese\etc, emergency whistle

Daily Hygiene Bag (odorless bag of frequently used stuff): tooth paste and brush, floss and floss sticks, Dr Bronner's peppermint soap, hand sanitizer, reusable towels and scrub pad, Badger foot balm

Other Hygiene Bag (odorless bag with small amounts removed from original packaging): rock tape, eye drops, sunscreen, laundry detergent, body glide, body powder, Vaseline, heat rub, anti-biotic and anti-fungal creams, ibuprofen, Aleve, Sudafed, Benadryl, Claritin, Mucinex, Pepto Bismol, razor and blades, tweezers, nail clippers, needle and thread for repair and blister drainage



No comments:

Post a Comment