Thursday, March 28, 2019

2019 App Trail Thru Hike: Ready, Set, ...


Helen and I are leaving this weekend to spend a few days in the mountains around Damascus, Virginia where I'll start my Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike


The entire trail is about 2200 miles long from Springer Mountain, GA to Mount Katahdin, ME and Damascus is about 475 miles in


Spraying my clothes and gear with Permethrin insect and tick repellent before I go

Overview: Just an average old(er) guy going on a really long walk to see what he can see

Why Start From Damascus? I'm trying to avoid the "bubble" of people at the start of the trail. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy encourages people to "flip flop" in order to mitigate the wear and tear on the trail. Damascus is the quintessential trail town and we had a great time visiting the area in 2017. The entire trail is about 2200 miles long from Springer Mountain, GA to Mount Katahdin, ME and Damascus is about 475 miles in. If I can, I'll walk 1700 miles to Maine where Helen will pick me up this summer and drive me back to Damascus and then I'll "walk home".

Are You Going Alone? Yes. I'm sure I'll meet people on the trail.

Biggest Worries? Injury, Lyme Disease, other sickness

Biggest Hopes? That I'll enjoy it. I'm looking forward to the physical and mental challenge. I like the idea of each day being different and, yet, strung together by the simple direct minimal "ethics" of it all: walk, eat, sleep...walk, eat, sleep...rinse, wash, repeat. 

What About Helen, Derek, and Adam? The boys are busy doing their own things. For Helen and I, it will be tough. She's been trying to get comfortable with all the financial\logistics I usually handle. Hopefully, in addition to picking me up in Maine, she'll also be able to fly up for an earlier visit. Maybe in New York to see a Broadway play. Derek mentioned coming up to see me and do some hiking with his friend Tyler.  

No comments:

Post a Comment