Friday, March 9, 2012

Wanderlust

As I get older it seems like the wanderlust in me gets stronger and stronger. As the world gets more connected and complicated, I get the urge to head in the other direction...to simplify and answer to no one.

I read an article recently about this couple who retired early and has been traveling the world since. I definitely felt a kindred spirit. Neither had a high powered job and didn't seem to want one. They lived beneath their means, saved regularly, and achieved their goal of getting out of the rat race and living life on their terms.

It's a standing joke with me and Helen that we still feel like kids just winging it while the people around us all seem like "real" adults. They dress like adults, talk like adults, and are into their "adult" careers. We'll see people when we're out and we'll nod and say to each other that "they look real." How do people become "real"? I just don't get it.

I also like to keep up with Lolo and Herb. I first read about them when I was researching our first road trip several years ago. They have 2 sons (like us) who are grown now, but I love to go back and look at the pictures of their sons when they first started on their road trips and then look at their most recent pictures. Switching back and forth between the pictures from their early road trips and the pictures from their latest road trips is like watching our own sons grow up in an instant. Life goes so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment