Wednesday, June 19, 2019

2019 AT Thru Hike: Week 10 - Vernon NJ to Kent CT

I took 3 zero days to rest a sprained right ankle, but I'm back on the trail and heading north. I made it through New York and I'm in Connecticut now.

App Trail Album7
App Trail Album6
App Trail Album5
App Trail Album4
App Trail Album3
App Trail Album2
App Trail Album1
All Photo Albums


















































































Day 70
Time: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 20:24:52 -0400
Location: William Brien Memorial Shelter Mile 1395.4 of Appalachian Trail

Spent last night at the Wildcat Shelter with Deadpool, Boomer, Ziplock, Parris, Sparky, and a 72 year old long timer named Alias/Takoma. He talked about Baltimore Jack and other trail legends. Just John showed up late and camped nearby. 

As morning broke the wind was shaking the rain from the trees. We got going a little later to give things a little more time to dry. Most of us were putting wet clothes back on. Rain is a pain.

Pretty but tough trail today. Lots of steep ups and downs. The trail went through Harriman State Park. It was sunny with gusting wind rustling through the trees all day. I had to take my pack off to make it through the Lemon Squeeze.

Talked to Helen which is always uplifting. Looks like Black Diamond is going to be able to mail me a replacement shaft section for the hiking pole I broke. Helen is my logistics support.

Parris said he is listening to Cosmos on audiobook. He finished Brief History of Everything. I don't listen to anything. I like to let my mind wander. I like to reminisce about good memories. Today I tried to go somewhat chronologically through my earliest memories. I made it to 4th grade.

I hiked 19.5 miles to the William Brien Memorial Shelter. Every day I think the day was tough. One other guy in the shelter. He was asleep when I got here.

I saw Thigh Gap at the Fingerboard Shelter where I stopped for a break. He had pushed on in the rain yesterday. He said a tree fell early this morning and a branch fell on his tent and made everything wet. He said he was a little discombobulated all day.

Parris, Deadpool, Ziplock, and Boomer stopped by the shelter on the way up to Black Mountain. The comments in Guthook say you can see the New York City skyline from there.

The trail walks through the Bear Mountain zoo. We should be getting there when it opens at 10.

Love you ❤️Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=41.2802%2C-74.05934

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 71
Time: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 21:03:40 -0400
Location: Graymoor Spiritual Life Center Mile 1411.6 of Appalachian Trail

Spent last night at the William Brien Memorial Shelter. There was a guy asleep when I got there about 7. He got up to pee as I was leaving and then got back in his sleeping bag.

I saw a bear the previous evening about 50 yards away up on the hillside as I was getting water. That's the third bear I've seen.

Boomer almost stepped on a rattlesnake yesterday and Parris had a copperhead almost strike him as he was climbing over the rocks a couple days ago.

I left about 7 am and passed the campsite where Boomer, Deadpool, Parris, and Ziplock were camped on Black Mountain.

They said they climbed to the top of Black Mountain last night and had a view of the NYC skyline.

We had a tough climb up Bear Mountain and passed the 1400 mile point. We stopped for lunch at the nice Bear Garden Inn. We saw Chaunce and Mr Perfect and met Tortoise and Brick.

We walked around the lake of the pleasant Bear Mountain Recreation area and through the neat Trailside Zoo. We wanted to go swimming in the recreation area pool, but it doesn't open until the 15th of June. That seems pretty common up here. Nothing opens until the kids get out of school.

We walked across the Hudson River over the big bridge and had a nice view. We had some more tough climbs before reaching the Appalachian Market, a nice convenience store with a deli and grill. A lot of hikers stopped there. It was great. Chaunce, Mr Perfect, Parris, Ziplock, Boomer, and Deadpool were there. Brother Blood who had thru hiked in 2016 bought a few 6 packs of beer for everyone. Thighgap showed up and everyone was excited to see him. I met Underdog, Diesel, and Magic Mike. Swagman had been trying to catch them since Shenandoah.

Pork Chop and Storm Trooper eventually showed up. I was hoping they would choose to camp at the Graymoor Spiritual Life Center like I was, but they chose to push on with the rest of the group to a campsite 5 miles beyond.

I have a strain/sprain of right ankle and I iced it at the market. With that and eating all the food and drinking beer, I decided to go to the Graymoor Spiritual Life Center nearby. The Franciscan brothers have a long history of welcoming hikers. They let us camp in a ballfield and have a portapotties, a covered pavilion, and water.

I walked with Hercules and Tripad to the campground. Brother Blood started a fire. Brick and Tortoise, and a couple young girls who just started are here as well.

We're expecting rain tomorrow morning.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=41.34728%2C-73.91943

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 72
Time: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 20:12:44 -0400
Location: RPH Shelter Mile 1430.8 of Appalachian Trail

Spent last night at the Graymoor Spiritual Life Center. Several of us slept in the covered pavilion and several others tented in the ball field outside. It was a neat place.

Rain was expected to start at anytime and everyone was trying to decide what to do. Tortoise and Brick left early. Brother Blood and his two friends were stirring. The two young girls were still sleeping. They're part of an all girl lumberjack competition team. So many different backgrounds out here.

The rain eventually came. Since one of my poles broke, I had a free hand for my umbrella. I was trying to secure it to my pack with a couple of gear ties, but that's always a little unwieldy. It was better just holding it.

You have to expect rain on the AT and it can be calming and relaxing, but it causes problems. Even with all the high tech gear, there's no perfect solution to staying dry. You're going to get wet and your stuff is too. Your feet get soft and blisters form easily. Put on too much rain gear and you get just as wet from sweat. When you get wet you can get hypothermia in moderately cool weather.

Even though rain is common out here, a lot people go to great lengths to avoid it. They will stay at hotels or hostels or shelters or just wait it out in their tent.

I passed Brick at a road crossing as he was calling for a shuttle to get out of the rain.

The rain stopped about noon. I passed Tortoise as we were making our own way around Canopus Lake in Fahnestock State Park. He had just snapped his trekking pole. We went down to the beach area and had lunch while we dried out our stuff. There was a cafe but nothing is open during the week until next week when the kids get out of school up here.

Sun gave way to clouds and we were worried it would rain again. I passed a young thru hiker named Fargo. We all stopped at the RPH Shelter. It's a small house on a wooded lot with other houses nearby. The house has been converted to a hiker shelter. The 3 of is ordered Chinese food and got it delivered. The 6 bunks were full. I slept on the floor. Tortoise and Fargo tented outside. It rained a little overnight so they got wet again.

I chatted with the others in the shelter as we got ready in the morning. There is a 70 year old from Pennsylvania who did 1600 miles last year and is trying to finish this year. His dad was a coal miner and would take the kids day hiking on the AT and thought the idea of such a long trail was so neat and wanted his kids to do the trail if they ever got a chance. The guy said he has several young grandkids now and one daughter in law especially enlists his help often. She's not happy he is doing the trail. When he retired from the Marines he had teenage sons and then started a second career. He retired a couple years ago and his finally fulfilling his dream of hiking the trail.

There's a young guy here from Marietta who started hiking parts of the trail with the scouts and then his dad and then on his own. He works for Leslie's Pool Company and takes off when he can.

The pool guy is hiking with a mother and daughter from Calhoun GA. The mother started hiking parts of the trail with an older daughter and now is hiking with the younger one. The daughter is 18 and will finish high school soon. She said she'll probably go to college for engineering, but she's not sure. She's planning on thru hiking before she starts college.

There is also a couple from Tuscon. They are flip flopping out of Harper's Ferry. The guy thru hiked in 2004. We talked about the differences. He mentioned how many more people there are and cell phones.

Everyone was eating leftover Chinese for breakfast. There were a number of tick and Lyme disease stories. 

I am going to zero here at the shelter today. My right ankle has been very painful for several days now. I can hike with the pain but I'm worried it's getting worse. I'm frustrated that it probably needs multiple days to recover. I don't have the patience for that, but I don't want to do more damage. It's hard to know what to do in these situations.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=41.51439%2C-73.79249

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 73
Time: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 16:42:35 -0400
Location: RPH Shelter 1430.8 (Northbound) of the Appalachian Trail

Decided to zero at the RPH Shelter today to try and let my right ankle heal. I enjoyed talking with the other shelter dwellers in the morning.

Everyone left and I elevated my ankle and then did a sponge bath and washed my hiking clothes.

The shelter is right on the trail and most hikers stopped by to see this unique shelter.

I met Whooped Dog, Chocoholic, and others. A couple AT volunteers stopped by and talked with us and we thanked them. They shared some history of the area.

The two young girls, Bambi and Swiss Miss, stopped and chatted. They're heading into Stormville for a hotel. Brick stopped by. They call him that because of the big battery pack he carries in order charge his vape device.

Brother Blood, Maverick, and Steve arrived and we ordered Chinese. They also send ice that I use on my ankle. Maverick and Steve are lawyers from Boca Raton. They're a lot of fun.

Tripad is also here tonight. He's a bar tender waiting to hear about a promotion and then he's getting off. He has lots of stories.

The guy from the shelter a few nights ago that slept the whole time is also here. His tent broke and he skipped ahead to get to an outfitter. His name is Dylan.

An older guy named Mammoth showed up. He said he was at the Graymoor Spiritual Life Center and asked a guy walking 2 pit bulls for directions and then was walking away and the dogs bit him. The owner said he was going to take the dogs home and return, but didn't. Mammoth talks loud like he's hard of hearing.

We ordered pizza and had some good laughs.

My ankle/lower leg feels better, which is encouraging. I've hiked on worse and am anxious to get going but know another day of rest would be best. Well see.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=41.51451%2C-73.79229

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 74
Time: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 16:05:08 -0400
Location: RPH Shelter NoBo Mile 1430.8 of Appalachian Trail

Second zero in a row here at the RPH Shelter near Stormville NY. My right ankle is improving slowly. I'm anxious to get going.

There was a good group at the shelter last night with Brother Blood, Maverick, Steve, Tripad, Dylan, and Mammoth.

Its entertaining to listen to Brother Blood and Maverick banter back and forth. Good guys.

Everyone eventually headed north this morning leaving just me at the shelter. The shelter is right on the trail so most hikers stopped by to check it out.

I called Helen and caught up on what's going on at home and updated her on my boo boo.

I met a nice father and son from Douglasville GA. Their names are Peach and Garlic. They told me about 6 or 8 other Georgians on the trail. They stopped and had lunch. They said they had too much food and gave me some peanut butter and olive oil. We had a nice visit. 

A Lithuanian guy from Chicago who is flip flopping out of Harper's Ferry also joined us. He's been out three weeks and is not enjoying himself. He said he will probably get off soon.

A group of friend weekend hikers are camping nearby. We talked a little about what we're all doing.

I texted Johnny Walker and Muffet to let them know where I was. They're still a day or two behind me.

Larry, a nice guy from the Jersey Shore, who is a few days into his southbound section hike of New York arrived in the early evening. We ordered Chinese takeout. The lady taking orders knows me and gave me more ice for my ankle.

A young couple from Albany NY just started their flip-flop at the Hudson River. They're sweet but a little overwhelmed.

Takoma/Alias arrived. He and the caretaker, Tim, hung out and talked a lot of AT lore and current happenings. It was a real history lesson. 

Soulshine from Alpharetta GA came in late. She zeroed with Johnny Walker and Muffet recently and knows some other hikers I know.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=41.51439%2C-73.79236

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 75
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019, 7:28 PM david nixon <david.h.nixon@gmail.com> wrote:
Time: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 16:52:49 -0400

Location: Morgan Stewart Shelter mile 1439.8 (Northbound) of the Appalachian Trail

I got back on the trail today after spending 3 zero days at the RPH shelter. I made it 5 miles to the Mountaintop Deli. My ankle feels much better, but still tender and my foot is swollen so that it's bulging out of my sandals.

I told them to hold my card and run a tab because I was going to be there awhile. I had a breakfast sandwich and a few cups of coffee, got some resupply stuff, then had a sandwich, meatballs, beer, and ice cream. I recharged my phone and my battery pack. Alias stopped by and got some stuff and we talked. 

I was around back of the store checking on my electronics and when I came back Johnny Walker, Muffet, Papa John, and Lady Dundee were out front. I hung out with them and talked to Helen. The Mennonites arrived and hung out with us. I told them Helen said hi and they said they miss her too.

I caught up to everyone and hiked with them to the next shelter. Only 9 miles today, but probably best to take it easy with my ankle. We passed by the biggest oak tree on the trail and took some pictures. Cricket, Salamander, and Alias are also here at the shelter. They're getting off and heading into NYC for a couple days. I haven't seen them since Front Royal VA.

Magnolia showed up late. Cricket and Salamander talked with her about not having a shower in a long time.

Derek texted and said he would come pick me up in Maine if I can finish in early August. That would be nice.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=41.56454%2C-73.6918

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 76
Time: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 16:13:38 -0400
Location: Wiley Shelter mile 1456.4 (Northbound) of the Appalachian Trail

Spent last night at the Morgan Stewart Shelter. Johnny Walker, Muffet, Papa John, and Lady Dundee camped around the shelter. Me, Takoma, Cricket, Salamander, and Magnolia were in the shelter. Magnolia came in late and then played a song for us on her mandolin.

It was a washout of a day. It rained all day. Johnny Walker, Muffet, Papa John, and Magnolia are in the shelter tonight. It was a 16.5 mile day.

The trail went past Nuclear Lake, so named because a plutonium research facility used to be located there but was shut down in 1972 after an explosion. It's pretty but they say you probably shouldn't drink the water.

We passed the little Appalachian train platform where you can catch a train to NYC. 

We stopped by Native Landscapes, a hiker friendly lawn and garden store. Magnolia took a hot shower and then went to Tony's Deli in Pawley. The rest of us hung out in a gazebo at the garden center and ate lunch and then continued on in the rain.

We will be out of New York in the morning and into Connecticut.

Love you ❤️Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=41.63765%2C-73.5321

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

No comments:

Post a Comment