Friday, June 7, 2019

2019 AT Thru Hike: Week 8 - Hamburg PA to Delaware Water Gap

Helen and Derek drove up from Atlanta to spend some time with me. Derek went on to visit friends in Boston and Maine and Helen slackpacked me through the rocks of Pennsylvania.

App Trail Album7
App Trail Album6
App Trail Album5
App Trail Album4
App Trail Album3
App Trail Album2
App Trail Album1
All Photo Albums
























































































Day 57
Time: Wed, 29 May 2019 20:28:14 -0400
Location: PA Route 183 NoBo Mile 1204.8 of Appalachian Trail

Helen and I stayed at the Days Inn Lebanon/Fort Indian Gap again last night and had another walk over to Wendy's for some chili and a frosty.

Helen dropped me off at the AT parking lot on PA 443 where she picked me up last night.

Helen drove over to the Trout Run Trailhead, where she had run yesterday, to do a run/walk. 

The AT took me onto the Trout Run trail just as Helen was coming up. She walked with me for awhile until the AT headed up into the woods.

It was hot and muggy. I was drenched after the first climb. There were plenty of the sharp rocks Pennsylvania is famous for massaging my feet all day. Lots of rocky ridges to traverse as well as muddy bogs.

I took breaks at the William Penn Shelter and the 501 shelter. I went 22.5 miles to PA Route 183 where Helen picked me up.

Big storms have been predicted for days and today they were right. I got torrential rain the last several miles. The trail turned to a creek in some places and a swamp in others.

Helen was waiting with dry clothes, food, beer, and coffee.  She had gone to an Amish store nearby and took me there. We picked up some soup for dinner.

We stopped by the KOA Campstore near our hotel for some soft serve ice cream and beer.

The warm shower and soup felt nice after a long wet day.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=40.45205%2C-76.51336

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 58
Time: Thu, 30 May 2019 21:39:18 -0400
Location: PA 61 Port Clinton NoBo Mile 1220 of Appalachian Trail

Helen and I had our last breakfast at the Days Inn Lebanon/Fort Indian Gap. We got pretty efficient at navigating the layout. There were always young guys dressed in military fatigues. I think there's a training facility nearby. There was also a group of bikers from Mass/New Hampshire called the Defiant Misfits or something like that.

Helen dropped me where I came off the day before at PA 183. The trail was rocky and muddy with a lot of wet plants and tree branches hanging over into the trail. The sharp dinosaur fin rocks wear out your feet and ankles like a thousand paper cuts.

The gnats are out and eager to get into your eyes. The airy almost unnoticeable spider webs are always there. You can't see them and only feel them when they get in your eyes or nose.

You have to give full attention to where you're placing your feet, but there are always things like gnats, spider webs, sweat, etc that distract you and cause you to turn your ankle, trip, etc.

There was a quarter mile section of soft padded unrocky and unmuddy trail that was heaven and then the rocks started again. 

There was another section that took you out onto a nice smooth utility access road and it was so nice. I exhaled and rejoiced, but instead of continuing on the perfectly smooth road, the trail dove back into the woods and Into the rocks with a vengeance. I was cussing Pennsylvania.

Helen had gone into Port Clinton and Hamburg where she was going to pick me up. She was looking for the Schuykill River Trail trailhead and a guy in a house near the trail started talking with her. They had a nice conversation and the guy offered her a nice bike and gave her advice on where to go.

She had a nice ride along the river and got up near where the AT crosses. She saw a hiker resting and it turns out he knew me. His name is Shawn and was hiking with his dog for awhile. I was texting Helen updates on my progress and she texted me a picture of Shawn and said she had met him in town.

After her bike ride Helen went to the gigantic Cabela's store. It's their biggest store. She hung out there and picked up some food for me at their Cafe.

There was a severe 1500 foot elevation drop down into Port Clinton. It was slippery and tough on already fatigued legs and feet.

Helen met another hiker at the PA 61 trailhead. He was figuring out how he was going to walk into town and Helen gave him some Gatorade and offered him a ride. When I arrived I immediately recognized the hiker. It was Max/Wrong Way who I had been hiking around the past week. We commiserated on the storms and the bad trail conditions.

Max was getting a room at the same hotel where we were staying, the Microtel in Hamburg. Max was just doing a section hike and was planning on returning home to Montreal where he delivers food on bike.

There are a lot of of hikers at the hotel. I saw Deadpool, Storm Trooper, Sparky, Starcrunch, and Skooch and heard several others were here including Pork Chop and Giggles.

We went down to Patty's, the attached bar and restaurant. We sat at the bar with Shawn. Deadpool and Sparky were playing pool and Storm Trooper came over and chatted.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=40.56188%2C-75.99973

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 59
Time: Fri, 31 May 2019 20:59:00 -0400
Location: Hawk Mountain Road NoBo  Mile 1234.4 of Appalachian Trail

Spent last night at the Microtel Hotel in Hamburg PA. There are a number of hikers here. Most are getting back on the trail after zeroing at the Microtel. Max is taking the bus back to Montreal.

We saw lots of hikers at the hotel breakfast: Pork Chop, Giggles, Shawn, Max, Magnolia, Deadpool, Sparky, Storm Trooper, Boomer, Ziplock, Paris, Skooch, Thigh Gap, etc.

Everyone was waiting for the Cabela's shuttle to take them back to the trail. We saw Giggles and Boomer when Helen dropped me off at PA 61 and Port Clinton Ave.

It was a big climb out of town as usual, but this time I was slackpacking so it was much easier.

This section of trail is popular with day hikers. It includes nice views at The Pulpit and The Pinnacle. There were more rocks, but also minimal mud, nice views, and a nice section of gently sloping graded trail. I did about 15 miles to Hawk Mountain Road. Helen did a day hike up to The Pulpit and then picked me up.

While I was waiting for her I met 3 hikers near the road. There was a father and older teenage son and another young guy who is a sophomore Mechanical Engineer at Penn State. We gave them some trail magic and chatted.

While I was finishing my beer, Giggles walked up the road from the Eckville Shelter nearby. We talked about our day and future plans.

Helen and I went to the gigantic Cabela's store. She had gone the day before but I wanted to see it. It was impressive in an over the top way. I got some food at the restaurant.

Derek arrived shortly after we got back to the Microtel in Hamburg. He had been visiting friends from school who are living with family in Maine this summer. He did several hikes around Maine and in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. He said it was still cold we with snow at higher elevations.

We went to dinner at Pappy T's, the restaurant/bar at the hotel. We got caught up and then Johnny Walker, Muffet, Papa John and his wife came over and had some drinks and visited.

Love you ❤️Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=40.83775%2C-75.67126

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 60
Time: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 08:41:24 -0400
Location: Bake Oven Knob NoBo Mile 1251 of Appalachian Trail

Stayed last night at the Microtel Hotel in Hamburg PA. Derek stayed the night with us on the way back from visiting friends in Maine. He left about 4:30 am on his way to meet Madison's family in Gatlinburg TN where they're staying for the annual Firefly migration.

Helen and I had breakfast and chatted with Johnny Walker, Muffet, Papa John and his wife, Magnolia, and other hikers.

We checked out of the Microtel and went to Walmart to get some things. We're not used to going to Walmart. It was interesting.

Helen dropped me back off at Hawk Mountain Road and I got back on the trail. The rocks started right away. Some of the rocks were bigger and fun to hop across. 

I stopped for a snack at the Allentown Hiking Club Shelter where I met Impulse, Jen, and Hulk Hogan. They talked about how they just recently started their flip-flop and how they had met Pork Chop, Giggles, Deadpool, and others.

The trail smoothed out for a stretch and then I came across a nice couple doing trail magic. They were grilling and a nice shaded seating area. The guy's trail name is Off Center. He had hiked the AT in 2016 and was hiking the PCT this year when he broke his foot. They're from New York and drove to Pennsylvania to do trail magic this weekend. He said this stretch was brutally hot and dry in 2016. They were so nice and had everything a thru hiker would want. Since I was slackpacking I didn't really need anything, but appreciated their generosity. There was a thru hiker named Frogger there also. He's from Australia and started in early March.

There were some big rock scrambles. One in particular was treachorously high and tough. I was glad to be doing that without my big heavy pack.

Helen did some trail magic and hiking around Bake Oven Knob. She saw Starcrunch and Moss. Starcrunch remarked how it was karma because they had done trail magic for me back in Shenandoah. She also saw the Mennonite father, son, and friend we met the day before. 

She was hiking in to meet me and had just run into Sparky when I met them. We walked back to the Bake Oven Knob parking lot and gave some trail magic to Sparky.

Helen and I drove to the Country Inn and Suites in Lehighton. She had gone to a cute General Store called Wanamaker's and got a tasty chicken feta strawberry wrap and salted caramels for me.

We went swimming in the indoor pool and relaxed in the hot tub. There should be more of those along the trail.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=40.83807%2C-75.67107

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 61
Time: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 21:38:17 -0400
Location: Blue Mountain Drive NoBo Mile 1264.5 of Appalachian Trail

Helen and I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Lehighton last night. They had a nice breakfast spread. There were a number of people associated with a wedding party and a bunch of government spook looking guys associated with a bunch of high tech vehicles in the parking lot.

We drove a few miles north to the town of Jim Thorp. It's a cute little town with a nice memorial park commemorating the life of the home town hero. The road into the town from Lehighton goes through some rock filled cliffs. The road is only open on the weekends. They're doing a bunch of work during the week to shore up the cliffs so rocks don't fall on the road below.

Helen dropped me at the Bake Oven Knob Parking Area where I left off yesterday. There were lots of rocks and a pretty good rocky ridge climb that Helen did yesterday up to the knob.

I was making good time doing a lot of fun rock hopping. I ran into Sir Stops Alot and walked with him for awhile. Helen had talked to him yesterday and he thanked us again for the trail magic. I also saw Abernacky who I haven't seen since central Virginia.

I saw the Mennonite group at the shelter just south of Palmerton and chatted with them. There was a big descent into Palmerton and a pretty walk over the Lehigh River. The climb out of Palmerton was brutal and the most treachorous yet. I had to put my poles up on rocks above me and then use my hands to hold on and pull myself up. We were up high. There were some nice views of the valley below. There are times like these when I wonder if someone is painting take white blazes as a cruel joke. I was worried about bad weather on such an exposed section, but it held off. It was very slow going.

I passed a day hiker going south. He tried going down the blue blazed winter route but found it too treachorous.

Water is also scarce in the area. I'm very thankful to Helen for slackpacking me through this area.

I did 13.5 miles to Blue Mountain Road where Helen was waiting. She had done some sightseeing in the area and did a walk along the Walnut Port Section of the Lehigh Canal. She had scouted out the Blue Mountain Dinner and we went there for dinner after taking a drive through Blue Mountain Resort.

The storm hit on the drive back to the Country Inn and Suites in Lehighton. I can't imagine climbing out of Palmerton on slippery rock.

We got settled and went for a swim in the pool and relaxed in the hot tub.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=40.83802%2C-75.67126

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app
Day 62
Time: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 20:57:43 -0400
Location: Blue Mountain Drive Mile 1264.5 of Appalachian Trail

We stayed last night at the Country Inn and Suites in Lehighton. It's a nice hotel. We like that they always have coffee and cookies out. We think every hotel should. They also have a good breakfast.

After breakfast we packed up and checked out. We drove back to Blue Mountain Drive and I started hiking. There were a couple of guys in the parking lot who were getting ready to hike. They had section hiked all of the trail south of that point.

It was a pretty day with low humidity and highs in the mid 60s. The trail would have been quite pleasant as it wound through the tree canopy if it weren't for the relentless sharp rocks. There was a constant breeze rustling through the trees and birds singing.

I saw Abernacky. He asked if I was going to be slackpacking the whole damn trail. I laughed and said maybe.

Helen went back to the Lehigh Canal and did a run/walk. She said the area was very cute. There were really cute houses and she talked to the owner of a food truck that seemed to be popular with locals.

She drove to Wind Gap to scout out where she was picking me up. She saw the hiker we referred to as "the homeless guy" and offered to take him back to the trail. His name is "Just John". He asked if we were avid hikers and Helen said "no". He said he had hiked all over including Alaska and Hawaii. He started the trail in January and had to get off at one point and make some money. 

Helen picked me up in Wind Gap and we drove north to Stroudsmoor and checked in to the Stroudsmoor Country Inn. It's a nice romantic place that does a lot of weddings and other events. It's pretty empty right now. We drove into town and ate at the Triplets Diner and then came back and went for a swim and relaxed in the hot tub. The hotel sells pool memberships to locals and we talked to some of them and Helen got some tips on things to do in the area.

Love you ❤️ Miss you 😘

Google Maps link to my location: http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&t=m&q=40.96669%2C-75.20447

Sent from the Guthook's AT Guide app

No comments:

Post a Comment