Thursday, July 26, 2012

Alaska 2012: Day 10 of 22 (Anchorage)




View Larger Map

When I made the reservation many months ago to pick up the motor home at 10 am, I thought it might be tough given we would be getting in so late the night before. The kids were still exhausted and dead to the world. Helen was able to stumble up and join me for a quick breakfast before Kelley came to pick me up and take me to the RV place.

I was hoping the RV orientation was going to be a big fun family affair, but instead I was going it alone. I was also thinking that the more people that watched the orientation the better off we would be.

All photos for this day

All photo albums 

This is the RV at Kelley's place many hours and much frustration later

Things started out well. Kelley dropped me off and went to run some errands. I watched a half hour orientation movie about how not to damage the motor home. There were many ways to damage the motor home.

The place was pretty crowded with people renting and returning, but I was up pretty quick. I went to get my wallet out of my backpack and it was not there. I blamed it on everyone still being asleep and requiring the room to be dark so I couldn't see my wallet on the dresser. And when Helen, trying to help me, got my shoes which were near my wallet - my fate was sealed.

I texted Kelley and she went back to the hotel for my wallet. The place was even more busy when I got back in line. I was almost done with the paperwork when they asked for a credit card number to hold in case of damage. I handed back the Mastercard I had paid with and the lady said that it was a debit card - not a credit card. My agitation showed as I told her that my bank assured me it was both a credit card and a debit card and that, in fact, I had just been turned down by another merchant that wanted a debit card and insisted my Mastercard was a credit card. The clerk asked her boss if they could take American Express since they weren't actually charging anything. The boss said no. I later found that it seemed like the whole state of Alaska doesn't take American Express.

I got back out of line and went for a long walk while I tried to calm down and while I waited on Kelley to return with Helen and the kids. They finally arrived and Kelley let me use her Visa card. I did a quick walk through the RV and I was ready (not really) to follow Kelley back to her house. Helen and the kids rode with Kelley because I needed some alone time to calm down.

I don't blame the RV place, Great Alaskan Holidays. They were nice and other than the credit card stuff everything worked out well.

What was supposed to be a pretty quick affair turned into a multihour ordeal and I really hated that I inconvenienced Kelley so that she wasn't able to run any of her errands. I hate to rely on other people and I really hate to screw them up.  






Kelley and Paul did a great job making over the side yard of their triplex



We were a little early to see the fireweed exploding all across Alaska, but it was blooming in Kelley's yard

Kelley and Paul's humble abode. One of the reasons for renting the RV is, with Jason and Laine visiting, space was hard to come by. The RV was great for travel and for just parking in Kelley's driveway.






Kelley and Paul had invited some friends over for dinner to meet us and the RV ordeal was not part of Kelley's preparation planning










We're ruined - we'll never be satisfied with store bought salmon again






Adam taught everyone how to play spoons, which he had learned to play at his club on the cruise

No comments:

Post a Comment